Wednesday, September 19, 2012



Headlines - September 14, 2012

First of all, a big thank you to all the parents who were able to make the arrangements and find the time to attend our Back to School program last night. We had a very good turnout and I was very happy to see so many parents in the classrooms. I look forward to seeing all of you throughout the year in the classrooms, on field trips, and at special events.
Subbing
– Already this fall I have had the opportunity to be in several classrooms as a substitute teacher. I really enjoy filling in for our teachers as it gives me a great opportunity to get to know the students. Yesterday I was asked to cover Spanish in Tr. Nick’s 4th grade classroom. Spanish is not my forte and we exhausted my knowledge in about 2 minutes. However, I do have some experience in team-building and decided that building classroom community would be an appropriate use of the remaining time. I took the class outside and presented them with a challenge. They were stranded on an island (soccer goal) with a few life boats (hula hoops) and needed to get the whole class to the mainland (school porch) before the oncoming storm flooded the island. The catches were that students could not swim (extremely cold seas filled with kid-eating sharks) and that the life boats could only be moved when they were empty. With only five small lifeboats, I knew this would be a challenging task for any group to accomplish. Before the activity began, I gave the students a few minutes to talk and plan and, unlike many groups that I have observed, they used these minutes productively. They started talking right away and there were efforts made by everyone to be sure that all ideas were heard. They arrived at a potential solution and, after one false start, they ran it to perfection. I was amazed that this group of 4th grade students, in less than 10 minutes, accomplished a task I have seen adults take 30 minutes or more to finish. It confirms to me that our students, even at an early age, are eager to accept challenges and have the tools to work through them. Maybe it doesn’t happen all the time with every student but it was a real pleasure to witness this time.

Announcements

Potluck Supper
–The all-school potluck is scheduled for Friday, September 28th from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. Potlucks are a wonderful way for our community to come together in a relaxed and informal manner. Both events will be held in the Community Room. We hope you will join us to make new friends.

Field Day – Our all-school Field Day is scheduled for Friday, October 5th. This afternoon of fun games is planned and run by the middle school students for the rest of the school. Students in mixed-age groups and led by members of the 5th grade class around a series of activity stations designed by the middle school students. It is a fun afternoon of activities that builds community in our school. Students should be sure to wear sneakers and bring a water bottle to school on field day.

Enjoy your weekend.

Dan


"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" H. G. Wells